Pregnant and Post-Natal Women
At Innovations Sports Physiotherapy our Women’s Health Physio Sarah is very experienced in helping pregnant women and women who have just had a baby manage their ever changing bodies. Going through pregnancy places a huge stress on our bodies and it is important that we look after it when we are pregnant and throughout our post-natal period.
We have many options to assist Pregnant and Post-Natal Women:
- Our Women’s Health Physiotherapist is very experienced in treating Pregnant women and Post-Natal Mums.
- She will provide a comprehensive assessment and treatment of hip, pelvis and back pain experienced during and after pregnancy.
- She is able to assist you with many issues that can arise after giving birth including: pelvic floor weakness, incontinence, vaginal prolpse and pelvic pain. See our Women’s Health Physio page for more information on this.
- We have maternity Treatment cushions which will allow pregnant women to lie comfortably on their front. These are also used during Remedial Massage Treatment
- Blocked Milk Ducts: Ultrasound therapy is very effective in treating this condition. Treatment is required on consecutive days.
Post-Natal Physiotherapy Assessment
- We offer a Post-Natal Assessment for women who have recently given birth.
- We recommend that ALL women attend a Post-Natal Physiotherapy Assessment 4-6 weeks after giving birth. This is the optimal time for the Assessment however you may attend one up to a year after giving birth.
- During this assessment we will:
- Measure your Abdominal Separation
- Real Time Ultrasound Assessment of Core and Pelvic Floor Muscle Strength and Functionality
- Pelvic Assessment – Assessment of the Position of your Pelvic Bones including Sacroiliac Joint (SIJ) and Pubic Symphysis
- Prescription of appropriate exercises to address muscle weakness (usually Core and Pelvic Floor)
- Advice on return to exercise and pre-pregnancy activities
Real Time Ultrasound: We have a Real Time Ultrasound to assist in the rehabilitation of your CORE and PELVIC FLOOR muscles after birth. The Real Time Ultrasound will allow you to see your muscles on an ultrasound screen (just like your pregnancy scans) which will assist you in activating the correct muscles. By visualising these muscles it provides great feedback to you and will assist you greatly in regaining their strength.
We offer Post-Natal Pilates at Innovations Sports Physiotherapy.
There are many restrictions placed on the types of exercise suitable for Post-Natal women. Our specific Post-Natal Pilates Classes are a very safe and effective way of recommencing exercise. We are also able to provide you with advice on other forms of exercise that may be suitable for you to be doing in conjunction with our classes.
Postnatal Pilates classes run with the school terms. Visit our Pilates page for all Term information.
It is essential after you give birth to your child that you perform exercises that strengthen the muscles of your CORE and PELVIC FLOOR.
- These classes are designed specially for Post-Natal Mums.
- These classes are taken by a very experienced physiotherapist who understands the struggle many women face trying to regain control of their core and pelvic floor.
- You are able to bring your baby along to the class.
Benefits of Post Natal Pilates
- Regain control of your Core and Pelvic Floor Muscles.
- Begin to increase your overall strength
- Improve your flexibility
- Prepare your body for aerobic and high impact exercise
- Prevent or manage incontinence issues
- Assist in the treatment of Rectus Abdominis Diastasis (also known as Abdominal Separation)
Before you start Post-Natal Pilates we require you to attend a Pilates Assessment. This will enable us to check for abdominal muscle separation (Diastasis Rectus) and will allow us to take some baseline objective measures. These measures can then be used at the end of the term to evaluate your improvement.
SRC Pregnancy and Recovery Shorts
We are very excited to stock the SRC Pregnancy and Recovery Shorts.
SRC Pregnancy Shorts: These are fantastic for the management of Pelvic Pain during pregnancy.
SRC Recovery Shorts: These amazing shorts will help you recover faster post birth. They provide support to your abdominal area which can assist in reducing back pain and abdominal separation. They will also provide medical grade compression to you C-section and perineal area to assist in healing.